Do you love comfort food? Some days I crave it. Lately, I’ve been thinking about how to turn my Baked Chicken Pie recipe into a stovetop meal. I used to eat a meal from Lean Cuisine® that had noodles, chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce and I wanted to try and create something like that.
As 2020 has had one catastrophe after another of course my oven died this summer. It’s probably fixable but we’ve been making do with the grill, stovetop and take-out so we’ve put it off. And I can honestly say that this recipe was born because of my no-bake predicament.
The ingredients and directions are very similar to my Baked Chicken Pie recipe. This Chicken and Noodles recipe includes bow-tie pasta instead of the pie crust. It also leaves out the potatoes though you could still use them if you want. And just like the chicken pie, you can make this as easy or as complex as you want.
Farfalle pasta is also called bow-tie pasta and is the noodle in this dish
I use store-bought bow-tie pasta or Farfalle as it’s also known. You can make and use homemade noodles if you prefer. The chicken can be boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked (boiled) on the stove or baked or you can even use a store-bought rotisserie chicken picked off and shredded. That’s what I love about this recipe. You can grab a chicken on the way home from work and throw everything together in almost no time.
I’ve made this Creamy Chicken and Noodles two times in the last three weeks because it’s so easy and delicious. As always, I suggest following the directions the first time you make it. If you need to tweak things you can the next time. For instance, my hubby needs to watch his salt intake so the first time I made this I used regular broth. The second time I made it I used unsalted broth. It was blander which was great for him but my daughter and I had to salt ours separately. Keep that in mind when choosing your broth and adding any extra spices.
Easy Creamy Chicken & Noodles
- 2-3 large Chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 32 oz Chicken broth
- 3 cups Frozen mixed vegetables
- 12-16 oz Package of bow-tie pasta (Farfalle)
- 1/3 cup Butter or margarine
- 1 Tbsp Onion flakes
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 2/3 cup Light cream
- 1 tsp Celery salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Start by boiling 2 to 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Boil for about 30 – 45 minutes or until no longer pink inside. It may take more or less time depending on how thick the breasts are. You can also use frozen breasts but they will take longer.
- Meanwhile, pour about 2 cups of broth into a medium size pot. Add the frozen mixed vegetables and heat to boiling.
- When chicken is done, remove from water and allow to cool slightly then shred. Add shredded chicken to the pot of vegetables and continue to cook until vegetables are soft.
- In a large pot cook the bow-tie pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Using that large pot, melt the butter/margarine and add the onion flakes. Slowly add the flour to the melted butter. Slowly whisk the other 2 cups of broth into the butter and flour mixture. Keep whisking. Add the light cream, celery salt and pepper. Continue to whisk over medium heat and the mixture should thicken up.
- Take the pot of vegetables and chicken and pour it into the large pot. Stir it around to coat everything and combine the broth and creamy sauce together. Now add the drained bow-ties. Stir to coat and simmer over low heat until everything is thoroughly heated through. Enjoy!